Archive for November, 2008
WordPress 2.6.5 has just been released this morning. It’s a recommended upgrade as it includes 1 security fix and 3 bugs. This new version is a minor upgrade from WP2.6.3 so the upgrade is almost as easy as the previous WP2.6.3 upgrade.
Please note that there is no WordPress 2.6.4 version released by WordPress, so don’t get fooled by the fake one if you see any.
If you are upgrading from WP2.6.3, you just need to replace 5 files.
You may choose to overwrite these 5 files, or delete them first then upload the new ones from WP2.6.5.
- Download WordPress 2.6.5 and extract it.
- Replace the following 5 files:
- That’s it! :D
If you are using any version older than WP2.6.3, then unfortunately the above upgrade method is not for you. You’ll need to follow the full upgrade instructions.
first 10-minute test and it works really well. awesome job google. only problem is every time I say the word “fish” it registers as “sex“…
Some other users complained that British accents are not recognized correctly too. Well, personally I think that’s kinda predictable because even handwriting recognition is still improving its technology after so many years since the first generation of Palm PDA was released.
Besides, Google Mobile blog also anticipated such issue, as they did mentioned :-
Note that voice search will be enabled by default for U.S. English users only.
Anyway, I think we can count on Google Mobile to improve its voice recognition and support more languages in the future as well.
I can’t believe this is the 3rd post I write about GMail in 7 days. Last Thursday, they rolled out voice & video chat, then I mentioned about GMail Mobile, today they announced another new feature : Change theme for your GMail.
GMail Themes feature is not officially enabled yet, you’ll only see it in coming days. Anyway, below is a sneak peak of the 30+ themes that you get to select :-
If you like the movie Matrix, GMail engineer even came out a theme called Terminal for you :-
Besides, the default GMail theme also will have a minor facelift. I just can’t wait to see them!
Listen up! Zone Alarm (ZA) is giving away Zone Alarm Pro for free!
The software you’ll get is a genuine copy and it is still retailing at US$39.95 on their website.
- Why free?
Check Point Software (ZA developer) is celebrating 15th anniversary of ZA Pro. Thanks for their generosity!
- Where to download?
Birthday Gift Page!
- How to download?
Sign up with your name and email address, they’ll email you with instructions in 48 hours.
- Who is eligible?
You! 1 PC per person only. Please don’t abuse.
- When is it gonna end?
You have until 6am PST, 11th Nov to sign up, which is about 8 hours left from the moment this post is published.
This is definitely the must-have software to complement your antivirus for maximum PC protection!
For more awesome deal like this in the future, don’t forget to subscribe to my RSS, which I’ve added a big button in the right there. Hope you all like it.
GMail Mobile 2.0 was released on 23rd Oct and I upgraded it immediately. The newer version is still very small in size (256kb), but now supports more J2ME phones (Nokia N95, BlackBerry, etc.) with over 35 languages for users to select.
Well, it’s undeniable more useful features have been added into v2.0, but I still experience slow connection (even on 3G) every now and then.
Useful features :-
- Application loading up pretty fast – You don’t have to wait for too long until you see the emails list
- Support multiple accounts – Log in to different gmail accounts in 1 application
- Offline message composing – You may compose email when you are having poor signal then send it later
- Multiple mobile email drafts – Compose multiple email draft and save it in the mobile phone
- Need refreshing (to load new emails) after logging in.
- Loss of connection even signal is good.
I suppose GMail has become the top pick for free email service nowadays, so if you are using it GMail Mobile 2.0 is the application you must have on your mobile phone especially you are always on the move.
Intel just did a counter attack at the right time! After knewing AMD is catching up with the launching of its first 45nm Opteron processor, Intel today announced its latest desktop processor, Core i7!
This new desktop processor from Intel, the first member of a new family of Nehalem processor designs, is claimed to be the fastest desktop processor by scoring a world record of 117 for the SPECint_base_rate2006 benchmark test. This is by far the most sophisticated Intel desktop processor ever built with new technologies that boost performance.
Some highlights of Intel Core i7 :-
- Clock Speed at 2.66GHz-3.20GHz
- 8MB L3 Cache, shared among all 4 cores
- Turbo Boost Technology
- Integrated memory controller for higher memory bandwidth (somehow AMD has been doing this since 2001).
- 2x the bandwidth, compared to previous Intel Quad Core “Extreme” processors
- 40% performance increase for immersive 3-D games, without increasing power consumption
- Intel Quickpath Technology, enables it to 8-threaded (4 cores running multiple computing threads simultaneously) performance
- Power Gates, for power-saving & performance boosting