Archive for the 'Hardware' Category
I came to Kuala Lumpur from Penang for the Nokia E7 Premier Preview yesterday and will be staying here for a few days. What I brought with me are some clothes, Apple iPad and Maxis WiFi Modem. That’s all I need for this short trip because the 2 devices really are my best travel mates.
Some users of Maxis WiFi Modem complain that it’s quite inconvenient to use the modem while traveling because it can only be charged via USB port so we still need a PC or laptop. Well, that’s just partially true.
Last Monday I spent almost the whole day testing the speed of Maxis Wireless Broadband at more than 40 locations throughout the whole island of Penang, Malaysia. I wanted to find out what’s the speed of Maxis Wireless Broadband because I’ll be using it when I’m out of the home or office.
Maxis claimed that they have the widest network coverage so I purposely went up the hill, to the seaside, highways and even some shopping malls. Besides, Penang is famous for its tourist attractions therefore I chose to test the speed at these locations. Below is the Google Maps I created showing all the places and speeds I recorded :-
View Maxis Wireless Broadband Speed Tests In Penang, Malaysia in a larger map
I just made a video about the 12 things we can do in the car with Apple iPad and Maxis Wireless Broadband. I love the portability of the Apple iPad so I thought let’s see what are the things we can do in the car if we connect it to a high speed data network that has wide coverage. Below are the things I did in the car.
- 1. Check emails.
- 2. Surf the Internet.
- 3. Listen to online radios.
- 4. Listen to online podcasts.
- 5. Watch movies.
- 6. Watch online videos at Youtube.
- 7. View online photo album at Flickr.
- 8. Read digital newspaper.
- 9. Read digital magazine.
- 10. Play games.
- 11. Login to Twitter / Facebook.
- 12. Search for locations using Google Maps and use it as GPS Navigator.
Well, there are of course many more we can do in the car using Apple iPad, I’m just sharing some of it that I find it useful. :)
Hope you like it.
Maxis10 – Apple iPad & Maxis Wifi Modem (E5832) Review Series
- 1. Maxis10 – Apple iPad & Maxis WiFi Modem (E5832) Review
- 2. Share Wireless Broadband Using Maxis WiFi Modem (E5832)
- 3. Maxis Wireless Broadband Special Promotion! Save RM20/month!
- 4. Securing Wireless Network Using Maxis WiFi Modem (E5832) – Basic Mode
- 5. Securing Wireless Network Using Maxis WiFi Modem (E5832) – Advanced Mode
- 6. Apple iPad + Maxis Wireless Broadband = Save RM170 Instantly
- 7. The top 5 things I do MORE of … now that I have the Maxis WiFi Modem
- 8. 12 Things You Can Do In The Car With Apple iPad & Maxis Wireless Broadband
- 9. Maxis Wireless Broadband Speed Tests In Penang, Malaysia
- 10. Apple iPad (or iPad 2) & Maxis WiFi Modem Are Your Perfect Travel Mates
- 11. The top 5 things I do LESS of … now that I have the Maxis WiFi Modem
I’ve been using the Maxis WiFi Modem for the past 1 week and it’s quite fair to say that it really changed some of the ways I do my daily routine. Below are the top 5 things I do MORE after getting the modem :-
1. Read more while I’m dining out or on the go.
Usually I only read newspaper or magazine at home because I hate bringing the dirty newspaper or the heavy magazine around. Besides, most of the time I can’t find a proper place to put the newspaper or magazine after reading it.
Maxis WiFi Modem turns 3G data connection into WiFi signal and it’s perfect for me because I’m currently relying only on WiFi connection for the iPad. Therefore, after getting the Maxis WiFi Modem, it’s so convenient for me to read on the iPad whenever I feel like reading. Well, it’s undeniable to say that Apple iPad is the best tablet for reading so I’m kind of addicted to it now. :)
Reading while having breakfast.
Update (19/3/11) : After the iPad 2 was announced, the price of iPad is now dropped to RM1,199 (16GB WiFi) and RM1,599 (16GB WiFi+3G) but you can still enjoy the saving using the method below. The saving will be RM120 (RM1,599-RM1,199-RM280). :)
Yesterday I wrote a post about a Maxis Wireless Broadband special promotion for Maxis existing customer, which can save you RM20 a month.
Now I want to share with you a way to save RM170 instantly if you are getting an Apple iPad and looking for a data package. This is not a trick or using any special coupon, it’s just getting the right combination of the product and service. :)
As we all know, Apple iPad is available in 2 versions : WiFi or WiFi+3G.
The 16GB models are selling at RM1,549 and RM1,999 respectively, that’s a RM450 difference in price.
The main difference between the 2 versions is that the WiFi+3G version has 3G wireless capability which allows you to connect to any 3G data network just like how your mobile phone is working. Whereas the WiFi version only allows you to connect to WiFi network, which means the mobility is quite limited.
If you’ve set all the basic security settings mentioned in my previous Securing Wireless Network Using Maxis WiFi Modem (E5832) post and want more, here is the advanced part.
By setting SSID Broadcast to “Disabled”, the network name will not be shown in the connection list. People who doesn’t know the network name won’t be able to see it in the connection list and therefore preventing strangers from connecting to our network. Anyway, we’ll need to manually add the network into the connection list when we connect to the network for the first time.