Archive for the 'Technology' Category
First of all, Happy Valentine’s Day to everyone who are celebrating it!
Over the last weekend, Nokia launched in Malaysia their latest smartphones running Windows Phone 7.5. Nokia Lumia 710 and Nokia Lumia 800 were revealed at the launch at Pavilion, KL.
Nokia Lumia 800
Nokia Lumia 800 looks almost identical to Nokia N9 as it features a unibody polycarbonate body same as the Nokia N9. However, there are many differences between them. Below is the list of the key specifications of Nokia Lumia 800 :-
- Runs on Windows Phone 7.5 (Mango) OS
- 1.4 Ghz Single Core MSM8255 CPU
- 16GB internal storage, 512MB program memory
- 3.7″ WVGA (800×480) AMOLED ClearBlack curved display
- 8MP auto-focus Carl Zeiss camera with LED flash
- 3 colours available: Black, Cyan, Magenta
- 1450 mAh battery
- Price: RM1650
Nokia just released the long awaited Symbian Belle today. Symbian phone users in Malaysia are among the lucky ones who get this latest Symbian version on the first day of release, along with other countries like India, Russia, United Arab Emirates, Turkey, Poland, UK, Germany, Italy, Vietnam and Indonesia.
Symbian Belle will be rolled out in other regions starting today. Check this Map for the availability of Nokia Belle in your country.
Nokia Maps, formerly known as Ovi Maps, is always my favorite turn-by-turn voice guided GPS navigation application on a mobile phone. I’ve been using it on Nokia N97, N900 & N8 and it served me well in many countries that I’ve been throughout the years. Nokia decided to split Nokia Maps into 2 separate apps in MeeGo and Windows Phone platform. Therefore, we now have 2 map navigation apps in Nokia N9 and all Nokia Lumia Windows Phones :-
- Nokia Maps (full featured maps navigation with local POI, pin destination, etc.)
- Nokia Drive (turn-by-turn navigation with voice guidance, optimized for driving)
Well, two is always better than one.
So far Nokia Maps and Nokia Drive are free and exclusive for Nokia devices only but soon it will be available as paid apps for other phones running Windows Phones 7.5. I’ve been longing to run these 2 apps on my phones of other brands and the hope finally came true when I managed to run it on my LG Windows Phone.
I’ll only cover Nokia Drive in this post and perhaps if I have time I’ll write about Nokia Maps as well in another upcoming post.
Nokia Drive supports both portrait and landscape modes. The user interface is optimized with bigger font and buttons for the use while driving. Nokia Drive includes 2D and 3D maps across 95 countries and maps can be easily downloaded via WiFi or data network and stored on the device. Navigation voice of different languages can be installed as well.
Nokia Drive in 2D. Day Mode (top) & Night Mode (bottom)
Two phones chose this special day today 11/11/11 to officially launch in Malaysia, one is Samsung Galaxy Note and the other is the long anticipated new Motorola RAZR. RAZRTM is the most well-known model of all Motorola mobile phones in the history and they are using the same name for this latest smartphone that is impossibly thin, lightweight, fast, and tough! I believe the legendary name RAZR is suitable for this new phone as it features some incredible specifications and the price is only RM1,999!
Below are some facts of Motorola RAZR :-
- Dual-core 1.2GHz processor
- 1GB RAM, 16GB internal storage (supports up to optional 32GB microSD)
- Display protected by scratch-resistant Corning Gorilla Glass
- Back cover encased in laser-cut KEVLAR fiber
- Splash-guard coating shields (splash resistant)
- 4.3″ qHD (960×540 resolution) Super AMOLED Advanced display
- 69mm wide x 131mm long x 7.1mm thin
- Android 2.3.5 Gingerbread OS
- 8MP Rear Camera with LED flash
- Micro HDMI port with 1080p HMDI Mirror Mode output
- Full HD 1080p video capture with image stabilization
- 1780mAh non-removable battery
Samsung Galaxy Note is hitting the shelves today and the RRP (recommended Retail Price) is RM2,299 in Malaysia. If you are looking for a mobile device that is a hybrid of mobile phone and palm-size tablet then Galaxy Note is for you as it features a huge 5.3″ screen and it comes with an advanced smart stylus called S Pen.
Below is the highlight of its specifications :-
- 1.4GHz Dual Core Processor
- 16GB Internal memory & optional microSD (up to 32GB)
- 5.3″ HD Super AMOLED screen (1280 x 800, 285 PPI)
- Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) OS
- 8MP rear camera with LED Flash
- 1080p 30fps Full HD video recording
- S Pen (Advanced smart pen)
- Li-on 2,500 mAh battery
Global positioning system (GPS) device has gained its popularity in Malaysia in the past few years and we have seen many different brands coming into the market with competitive prices since then. It’s always good for the consumers to have options picking the right GPS device because each of us may have different considerations in term of the pricing, features, hardware, ease of use, etc.
Recently I got my hands on this affordable Gogopal Q4.3 GPS Navigator which is selling at only RM299. It is one of the cheapest 4.3″ touch screen GPS devices I’ve seen in the market so far.