Archive for the 'Security' Category
A few weeks ago, I received a CityLite II Ultra Backpack from Targus for review. CityLite II Ultra Backpack is one of the latest models in Targus CityLite II series that they just launched in April 2014. I’ve been using it daily and truly love it as my primary laptop bag now.
Targus CityLite II Series
The latest Targus CityLite II series consists of the following 4 new models (as shown in above picture) :-
- 15.6″ CityLite II Ultra Backpack (rightmost) RM238
- 15.6″ CityLite II Max Backpack (leftmost) RM238
- 15.6″ CityLite II SL Backpack (2nd leftmost) RM288
- 17″ CityLite II Ultimate Backpack (2nd rightmost) RM319
Prior to using this CityLite II Ultra Backpack, I’ve always thought the free laptop bag that comes with any purchase of a new laptop is good enough for everyday use. I had to change this misconception of mine after using a CityLite II Ultra Backpack because I was impressed with the extra protection it offers and some features that totally worth the money.
Targus CityLite II Ultra Backpack (TSB798AP)
Targus CityLite II Ultra Backpack, like all the backpacks in CityLite II collection, is designed for travel and everyday use. It is great for business commute, travel, and as a carry-on for airplanes too. The safety lock anti-theft puller system prevents easy access into the backpacks. It’s very effective to avoid unwanted opening of the bag and makes it harder for pickpockets to unzip and steal anything from inside the backpack. This feature provides better safety against pickpockets and thieves especially when commuting.
Anti-theft Puller System
I was invited to UPS (Uniterrrupted Power Supply) Storm Season – Product Showcase Event by Schneider Electric IT Business Malaysia early this month to share my personal experience with UPS at home and workplace. During the event, a few latest UPS models were showcased including APC Back-UPS Pro (BR900GI) in the Back-UPS lineup which is ideal for home offices and SOHOs. Another UPS model was used in the demonstration is the APC Smart UPS On-Line system, that is designed as power protection solution for servers, voice/data networks, medical labs, and light industrial applications in Small Medium Enterprises (SME).
APC UPS Storm Season – Product Showcase Event
John Atherton, Malaysia IT Business Vice President of Schneider Electric, mentioned at the event that We live in a country that is ranked 5th in the world in terms of lightning density, Kuala Lumpur experiences an average-thunder day level between 180-300 days per year. Our work, leisure, healthcare, economy, and livelihood depend highly on a constant supply of electrical power. Even a temporary stoppage of power can lead to chaos, monetary setbacks, and possible loss of life. The APC Back-UPS Pro (BR900GI) offers homes and business owners guaranteed power protection for high performance computer systems, routers/modems, external storage devices, gaming consoles and other electronics.
Earlier today WordPress found some malicious codes in several popular plugins, namely AddThis, WPtouch, and W3 Total Cache. These malicious codes may run as cleverly disguised backdoors on your blog, which is dangerous!
Therefore, WordPress urged all WP blog users who have these plugins installed or upgraded recently to reset your password immediately. Do not use the same password as the new password!
To reset the user’s password in your blog is easy. There are 2 ways to reset the password :-
1. Reset in WP Admin Panel
- 1. In the Admin Panel menu, go to Users.
- 2. Click on your username in the list to edit.
- 3. Scroll to the bottom to the New Password section and type in a new password in the two boxes provided. The strength box will show how good (strong) your password is.
- 4. Click the Update Profile.
2. Reset without login to WP Admin Panel
- 1. Go to your WordPress Login page.
- 2. Click on lost password.
- 3. Enter your user name and the email address on file for that account.
- 4. The new password will be emailed to your email address.
Meanwhile, all password at wordpress.org were forced-reset so you’ll need to request for the new password to be sent to you in case if you need to login to wordpress.org.
If you’ve set all the basic security settings mentioned in my previous Securing Wireless Network Using Maxis WiFi Modem (E5832) post and want more, here is the advanced part.
By setting SSID Broadcast to “Disabled”, the network name will not be shown in the connection list. People who doesn’t know the network name won’t be able to see it in the connection list and therefore preventing strangers from connecting to our network. Anyway, we’ll need to manually add the network into the connection list when we connect to the network for the first time.
One of many reasons I like using this Maxis WiFi Modem (E5832) together with the Apple ipad is that it supports many security features. Security is of the utmost importance especially in wireless network because we can never be sure who is connecting to the network if we don’t secure it.
I’ve compiled a step-by-step guide to effectively secure the wireless network when using Maxis WiFi Modem (E5832). We’ll need to connect the modem to a PC for configurations.
Step 1: Connect the modem to a PC, then switch it on.
Step 2: Run the Maxis Broadband Setup to install device driver and necessary applications.
Once the installation is completed, carry on with the following steps :-
Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 (KB976932) is now available for download, after one and a half year Microsoft released the operating system. Service Pack is a collection of updates and improvements to Windows that are combined into a single installable update, therefore it’s an important update to help make your computer safer and more reliable.
An easy way to install this crucial update is to turn on the Windows Update by doing the following :-
- Open Windows Update by clicking the Start button. In the search box, type Update, and then, in the list of results, click Windows Update.
- In the left pane, click Change settings.
- Under Important updates, choose the option that shown in the picture below.
- Under Recommended updates, select the Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates check box, and then click OK.
To search for Windows Service Pack 1, try doing this :-
- In the left pane, click Check for updates.
- If any important updates are found, click the link to view available updates. In the list of updates, select Service Pack for Microsoft Windows (KB976932), and then click OK.
- Click Install updates.